During the 14th and 15th centuries Moreton had a large number of ale-sellers, (fn. 100) and in 1494 a large house on the Foss Way was called New Inn. (fn. 101) Of the two inns in Moreton in 1608 (fn. 102) one was the 'White Hart' on the south corner of Oxford Street. There is an unsubstantiated tradition that Charles I stayed at the 'White Hart' in 1644 on his way to Evesham. (fn. 103) The inn, which has been considerably extended and rebuilt, retained a small part of the 16th-century building in 1962 when it was still called the White Hart Hotel. The other inn in 1608 was the one held by Anthony Nicholls, called Bury's Inn in 1628 when it was owned by William Bury. (fn. 104) The inn called the 'Bear' on the east side of High Street existed by 1746. (fn. 105) The number of inns increased considerably during the 17th and 18th centuries, and in 1755 Moreton had 16 licensed victuallers. (fn. 106) An inn called the 'George' in 1738 (fn. 107) had closed by 1774, by which year the Bell Inn, on the west side of High Street, was opened. (fn. 108) Also on the west side of High Street, the 'Unicorn', called the 'Redesdale Arms' by 1891, (fn. 109) was one of the principal inns (with the 'White Hart') in the late 18th century (fn. 110) and is a building of that date. The Swan Inn on the corner of Bourton Road was opened by 1842. (fn. 111) Several other inns existed during the 19th century, perhaps for short periods only; during the first half of the 20th century 11 inns closed (fn. 112) and in 1962 Moreton had eight hotels and inns. At that time the largest hotel in Moreton was the 'Manor House' which became a hotel in the 1950's. The central part of the building, which is dated 1668 but probably incorporates part of an earlier building, is traditionally associated with the Creswyke family, which became one of the principal landowners in Moreton in the 17th century, (fn. 113) and the house has consequently been erroneously regarded as the manor-house. If the house was the one owned by the Creswyke family, it is possible that it was the house called Bury's Inn mentioned above, which was conveyed to Francis Creswyke in 1628. (fn. 114) Alterations were made in the 18th century on the north side, and extensions in the 19th century on the east side, and in the 1960's on the south side.