Taking pride of place in the centre of Moreton is the Redesdale Hall, which was built in
1887 (in medieval style) by A. B. Freeman Mitford, aka Lord Redesdale, who
owned the Batsford Estate just outside Moreton at the time and after whom it is
named. Originally, the lower part of the hall was left open to give it
the appearance of a market hall, but it was never used as such and was eventually
filled in in 1951, giving it its current appearance. In 1951, Lord
Dulverton, who had bought the Batsford Estate from Lord Redesdale, gave the
building to the Rural District Council.
Probably the oldest building in town is the Curfew Tower, standing to the East of the Redesdale Hall on the corner of the High Street and Oxford Street, the bell of which rang daily to remind the townspeople to "cover fire" for the night. The "building" (for it is little more than a tower) is made of stone with a stone roof and a gabled turret; it has a four-centred arched stone doorway, which was probably built in the 16th century. The clock on the tower is dated 1648, while the bell is dated 1633. A local worthy, Sir Robert Fry, paid for the upkeep of the Curfew Tower in the 17th century, after the sound of the bell once guided him home through fog. The bell continued to be rung daily until 1860 and after that was used to all the fire brigade. The Curfew Tower is also said to have been used as the town jail at one stage.
The Mann Institute, which stands to the east of the Redesdale Hall, between Oxford Street and Oxford Street, was built by Miss Edith Mann in 1891, in memory of her late father, Dr. John Mann (son of the first Congregational minister), as a working men's club. The institute was endowed by Miss Mann's will of 1902 and the following year a scheme was drawn up for its administration by trustees (including the rector and the Congregational minister), to whom the site was conveyed in 1904. The Mann Institute included a hall, a reading room, recreation rooms and a flat for the use of women and children from London's Canning Town Settlement for holidays. It remained as a working men's club well into the 20th century, but is now home to a firm of architects.
There are plenty of striking stone buildings on Moreton's High Street and the streets leading off it. Most of the larger houses are 18th-century ashlar buildings with moulded stone architraves and, in some cases, balustraded parapets. One particularly impressive building on the High Street, next to the Corn Exchange, is called the Steps; it is a beautiful example of a large mid-18th-century ashlar house, with modillion cornices and a balustraded parapet; the doorway, with moulded architrave and pediment, is approached by a double flight of steps and is flanked by Venetian windows with semicircular three-light windows above them. The gable ends have curvilinear parapets, and the frontage of the house is extended by outbuildings on each side.
There are also some pretty 17th- and 18th-century houses close to St. David's Church, including St. David's House, which has a Cotswold stone roof with moulded stone eaves cornice, stone pilasters, and a doorway and windows with moulded architraves and triple keystones. The house is close to St. David's Well which was considered to be a holy well and was used for curing sore eyes. In Oxford Street, the large property called Lemington House has a gable and chimney stack that are said to date to the 16th century, but the house was altered and enlarged in the 18th century.