The earliest recorded settlement in Moreton is close to the church, close to the street now known as Old Town. The village was a very small one until the 13th century, when the Abbot of Westminster sought to exploit the commercial advantage of its proximity to the Fosse Way.
The Abbot had a new town built between 1222 and 1246, and it is thought that the granting of a weekly market charter coincided with this development (the charter dates to 1228). The new town, called New Moreton to distinguish it from the old village which came to be called Old Moreton, was built along the Fosse Way, and the wide roadway where a market hall was built in the 18th century probably always served as a market place. It was not until the 17th century that houses were built on the west side of the Fosse Way.
During the 18th century, extensive rebuilding and refacing of houses took place, especially along the Fosse Way, and several large houses were built in Moreton at that time. By 1777, the town stretched along the main road from Church Street in the south end to the Batsford road in the north. On the east side of the Fosse Way, Church Street and East Street were short roads with just a few buildings, while Oxford Street had a few more buildings on the north side. Several substantial houses were built in Oxford Street in the late 18th century and early 19th. On the west side of the Fosse Way, apart from the road to Bourton-onthe-Hill, there were just two other small streets, including Corder's Lane, which linked the main road with a narrow street called Back Ends in 1875 (now known as Hospital Road).
The town changed very little until the late 19th century, when the opening of a main railway station in 1853 encouraged growth. The (now closed) Wellington Inn and the group of houses adjoining it on the corner of the Evenlode road, as well as another group of houses called Wellington Villas on the Evenlode road, all stone buildings, were built by 1886. Further expansion of the town along the Chipping Norton and Evenlode roads took place between the 1870s and 1909 when around 50 terraced brick houses were built by the Oddfellows Loyal United Lodge.
More houses were built in Hospital Road in the 19th century, including two groups of Oddfellows' houses. By 1885, New Street had been created leading off the east side of the Fosse Way with buildings on both sides, and a small group of houses was built between New Street and Oxford Street near the railway. In the 20th century, the town continued to expand eastwards and southwards.